Sunday, September 20, 2009

Birthdays- Dust and Chinese Food

It's Sarah's birthday today! She's 25, from Minnesota (pretty much Canadian really) and one of my closest friends over here.

We went to Noodles, after another roundabout cab ride (he charged US 4KD when HE couldn't find the place and we literally drove right by it), for some of the best Chinese food I've ever had (and the cheapest!) for her birthday and then shopped and wandered around Salymia district in the dark...our running joke is:

"A blonde (Sarah), a redhead (me) and a brunette (Dawn) are walking through the desert...*insert whatever rediculious situation we've gotten ourselves into this time here* Now we get to add an Asian taking photos into the mix (my fellow Canadian Amanda)!

It's really dusty out today, not a dust storm...kinda looks like fog.

We came back to my place to hang out and watch youtube...Amanda and I introduced our American friends to the wonder that is/was Roch Vosine...lmao

Mom and dad called while the girls where here, they all shouted "hi". I filled them in on the latest saga going on in my family (Idiots...you know who I'm talking about).

Then they borrowed some DVDs (I'm the local Blockbuster I guess) and went home.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SARAH!

Okay, is it wrong if we're thinking about going to church on the US Army base just to meet guys and maybe get an invite back to the bar??? 'Cause we're seriously thinking about it, really. We outnumber the boys here by, like, a million to one.

We've been warned about some of the local men being idiots towards western women (usually the younger ones) and we've had our first massive dose of that at the Old Souk (I think that's where the cabbie took us...).

We went a couple days ago and a bunch of teenage boys chased us, literally, through the building well after several of us told them we didn't want to be friends. One of them had a tattoo so he singled me out and his friends backed him up. He actually used the line "show me yours and I"ll show you mine."

He wanted me number and I said no, so he offered his to me...and I said no. He couldn't understand why this tattooed redhead couldn't possibly want his bloody number. We left for a different shop and he and his crew followed us...this went on for ages.

Sarah and I (I'm not sure where Dawn and Amanda went) actually had to hide in different shops and all four of us ended up running down several flights of stairs to escape them...we left after that.

I guess we won't go back to the Souk on a weekend...

Tomorrow I refuse to leave my house, a day of painting is what I have planned.

No comments:

Post a Comment