Saturday, November 21, 2009

When Irish Eyes Are Smiling

Dia dhuit!
Connas ta tu?

...nothing huh?

The answer to that would be Dia is muire dhuit. Ta me go meath.

*cricket noises*

Okay, moving on!

The Irish Society semi-formal was, to borrow the two biggest compliments from the Old Country, altogether brilliant and grand!


It really was great. Great place, great food, great dancing (who'd have thought I'd learn Irish dances in the Middle East?) and great friends (old and new).

I think we're going to go whatever function is happening every month...we really really need something to do.

We (Amanda, Dawn and I) took a cab to the Hilton (fancy!) and then hung out until Amanda's friend Lloyd and his friends got there. We were introduced to most of the guys, I think I missed a few of them though. They brought some of the best homebrew I've ever had. :)

Dinner was an amazing buffett that included local dishes as well as Irish stew (naturally!), Yorkshire pudding and roast beef...don't even get me started on the dessert table!

Then is was time to DISCO! And we did my friends, we did. Whilst belting out the words of course (why do I know the words to so many disco songs anyway?!).

Next came Irish dancing lessons. The first round I sat out thinking I was going to be horrible at it and look like an idiot. Then I was two things that made me change my mind: 1) no one was any better at it than I would have been and 2) it looked like a hell of a lot of fun!

So Mike, one of my new friends, and I learned two dances and quite frankly I think we did pretty damn good. Who really cares how good you are at something or what you look like so long as your having fun? Live a little, right?

Then it was time for more non-Irish dancing and some more drinking (for me anyway).

We left at midnight because Cinderella (Amanda) had to be at school ON A WEEKEND at 8am...boo! Do you hear me Amanda?! Boo! And thanks for making me leave my apartment for some fun times with friends..I owe you.

Here's to cheating, stealing, fighting, and drinking.
If you cheat, cheat death.
If you steal, steal a woman's heart.
If you fight, fight for a brother.
If you drink, drink with me!!

- Irish toast

No comments:

Post a Comment